This recipe satisfies the need for a crunchy snack
and gives a boost of iron, calcium, and fibre -
nutrients you certainly won't find in potato chips!
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas (also known
as garbanzo beans)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Heat oven to 400 F.
2. Open the can of chickpeas and rinse by
placing in a colander under running tap water.
3. Dry the chickpeas by laying them out in a
single layer on paper towel. Pat dry using
another piece of paper towel.
4. Transfer the chickpeas to a bowl. Mix in the
5. Combine the sugar, salt, and spices together
and sprinkle on top of the chickpeas. Mix to
6. Spread the chickpeas in a single layer on a
7. Bake for 20 minutes. Using a spatula, stir the
chickpeas and bake for another 20 minutes
until golden brown and crispy.
Back to "Power up"
Wave is published six times a year by the Winnipeg Health Region in cooperation with the Winnipeg Free Press. It is available at newsstands, hospitals and clinics throughout Winnipeg, as well as McNally Robinson Books.
Read the September / October 2012 issue of Wave