October 14, 2008
Health Region Recognized Among Top Employers in Manitoba
This past weekend, the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority was recognized as one of the Top 20 Employers in Manitoba.
"We are excited and honored about receiving this designation," says Gloria O'Rourke, Vice President & Chief Human Resources Officer.
"But we recognize there is still much more work to do. The health care industry is a tough business. We are often placed in a position to provide quality care under stressful circumstances, limited resources, under constant scrutiny. However, our continuing goal is to create a workplace environment that fosters personal and professional growth, is flexible, family friendly, and acknowledges the challenges of working in our unique industry."
A recent article in the Winnipeg Free Press highlights some of the policies and programs developed over the past 10 years of regionalization, some of which include:
- The ability to move across the variety of organizations throughout a career while maintain accumulated service and benefits
- The ability in certain positions to work various full-time or part-time shifts
- Leadership for the future, supporting management training and career development and succession support
- Workforce Safety and Wellness as an organizational priority, with initiatives underway that reflect this priority in the workplace
- Competitive industry policies on vacation, income protection and ability to take leave of absence
- Workforce diversity
- Aboriginal cultural awareness programs
"While we're very proud to have made the Manitoba Top 20 list, the challenge before us is to keep continually improving and remain on this list well into the future," says O'Rourke.
Read Winnipeg Free Press article: "Care in the
Business of Caring"