PREVENTING FALLS IN OLDER ADULTS
For all of our fall prevention resources and information go to www.preventfalls.ca
- A Checklist to Help You Prevent Falls (2015) (English) (French) helps you identify what is putting you at risk of falling. Order from MDA.
- Take Action To Prevent Falls Booklet (2015) contains the above checklist to help you identify what is putting you at risk of falling, provides information on what you can do to reduce the risks and has tools to help you make a plan. Order from MDA.
- Home Balance and Strength Exercises (2015) (English) (French) brochure contains pictures and step-by-step instructions of five exercises that you can do at home to improve your strength and balance. Order from MDA.
- Proper Footwear Can Help Prevent Falls (English) (French) brochure helps you choose the best footwear to decrease your risk of falling. Order from MDA.
- Exercise for Strength and Balance – (English) (French) 11 x 17″ poster. Order from MDA.
- Vitamin D, Prevent Falls and Injuries – (English) (French) 11 x 17″ poster. Order from MDA.
- Medications and Risk of Falling – (English) (French) 11 x 17″ poster. Order from MDA.
- Proper Footwear Prevents Falls – (English) (French) 11 x 17″ poster. Order from MDA.
- Preventfalls website promotional card – sized to go in envelopes and pamphlet racks, bilingual card promotes WRHA’s falls prevention website. Order from IMPACT.
- Staying on your Feet Banner standing floor display – Display unit features the Staying on Your Feet Brand and promotes the PreventFalls website. English only. Available on loan from IMPACT.
Fall Prevention Environmental Checklist for Community and Ambulatory Care: used to identify environmental factors that may increase the risk of falls. It is recommended that this checklist be used at WRHA sites annually (preferably twice a year, in winter and spring/summer):
Fall Prevention Checklist for Construction and Renovation Planning: tool helps integrate best practices for falls prevention when planning new construction or renovation of clinic space within the WRHA.
- www.preventfalls.ca – This is the WRHA’s website dedicated to falls prevention for older adults. Features include interactive checklist to help identify personal fall risk factors, an interactive home safety checklist and an inventory of exercise programs that meet fall prevention criteria, searchable by postal code.
- Canadian Falls Prevention Education Collaborative – website for professional offers publications, research, conference and event information related to falls. Administers the Canadian Falls Prevention Curriculum course.
- Manitoba Healthy Living and Seniors – includes Manitoba falls injury statistics and links to provincial and national fall prevention resources.
- WRHA Regional Falls Leadership Committee
- Community and Ambulatory Care Fall Prevention Working Group
- Manitoba Falls Prevention Network